Attention L Word fans, we have updates!
WORDS BY BEATRIZ VASQUES, IMAGE VIA INSTAGRAM
Fifteen years after the show’s first release and 10 years after the finale, The L Word is back with a revamped title, The L Word: Generation Q. Are your old teenage selves handling it okay? We definitely are NOT. Here’s what we know (so far) about the reboot!
1. The show will premiere this autumn on Showtime. Although we don’t have a specific date yet, we’ll get to enjoy it with some cosy blankets and a cuppa (yay!).
2. The series will begin production on eight episodes in LA this summer. Original series creator, Ilene Chaiken, will be one of the executive producers.
Does this mean Easter eggs and hidden messages related to the first series? If so, start auditioning to form your very own queer detective squad and thus proceed to connect all the dots… RIGHT NOW!
3. The most important bit of information… and this is not a drill…. Jennifer Beals (Bette Porter), Katherine Moenning (Shane McCutcheon), and Leisha Hailey (Alice Pieszecki) ARE BACK to reprise their original roles.
Will the sequel pick up its narrative from where it left off in the season finale, back in 2009? Will Jenny’s murder still be a hot topic, 10 years on? What happened to Alice and Tasha? Did Bette ever move to New York? And, how is Shane doing? OMG. SO. MANY. QUESTIONS. We honestly can’t wait!
4. The series creators promised to be more inclusive this time around. There are already casting calls for two trans male roles. Alongside that, showrunner Marja-Lewis Ryan, has already mentioned she wishes to honour the first series and make it more inclusive in an interview for the Hollywood Reporter. Representation matters!
5. Showtime have unveiled new promo artwork and we are obsessed. Spot any familiar faces?
6. Our girls have been sharing their journey online… here are a few stills!
Only reading DIVA online? You’re missing out. For more news, reviews and commentary, check out the latest issue. It’s pretty badass, if we do say so ourselves.