Seven emerging LGBTQI British filmmakers to receive mentoring from industry professionals such as Luca Gaudagnino and Kate Herron
BY SOPHIE GRIFFITHS
The British Academy Of Film And Television Arts (BAFTA) and BFI have today announced the six industry mentors who will provide a year-long mentorship to the BFI Flare x BAFTA Crew 2020 mentees.
Now in its sixth year, BFI Flare x BAFTA Crew is a partnership between BFI Flare: London LGBTIQ+ Film Festival, BAFTA and BFI NETWORK, which discovers, develops and funds new and emerging filmmakers through National Lottery funding.
The year-long programme brings together and supports a group of emerging LGBTQI filmmakers from the UK by providing mentoring from a senior industry figure, alongside a bespoke programme of events designed to strengthen professional networks and support progression, and access to BAFTA’s year-round events programme.
Mentors revealed for 2020 #BFIFlare x @BAFTA Crew support programme for emerging talent!— BFI Flare (@BFIFlare) October 12, 2020
7 LGBTIQ+ British filmmakers will receive mentoring from Luca Guadagnino, Kate Herron, Yvonne Isimeme Ibazebo, Julia Oh, João Pedro Rodrigues and Oliver Hermanus https://t.co/7TSrlB3K5B pic.twitter.com/V6lEjV3Au7
The BFI Flare x BAFTA Crew mentees for 2020 and their industry mentors:
- Cheri Darbon (producer) – mentored by Yvonne Isimeme Ibazebo (Top Boy, National Treasure)
- Jason Bradbury (director) – mentored by Oliver Hermanus (Moffie, Beauty)
- Laura Kirwan-Ashman (writer/director) – mentored by Kate Herron (Sex Education, Loki)
- Rosanagh Griffiths (writer/director/producer) – mentored by Julia Oh (American Honey, Nasty Baby, Film4 Senior Commissioning Executive)
- Tom Chetwode-Barton (writer/director) – mentored by João Pedro Rodrigues (The Ornithologist, To Die Like a Man)
- Zhang & Knight (writers/directors) – mentored by Luca Guadagnino (Call Me by Your Name, We Are Who We Are)
They join a growing alumni of filmmakers supported by the programme over the last five years, who are breaking new ground in LGBTQI representation on screen.
Alongside their mentoring, this year’s mentees have enjoyed an online programme of masterclasses and discussions with filmmakers including Levan Akin (And Then We Danced), Isabel Sandoval (Lingua Franca) and Patricia Vidal Delgado (La leyenda negra) whose films were selected to screen at BFI Flare: London LGBTIQ+ Film Festival in March.
Jason Bradbury, director and BFI Flare x BAFTA Crew 2020 mentee, said: “To say this year has not gone as planned is an understatement, but being selected for the mentorship and getting to know my fellow mentees has been a dream. I feel especially lucky to have been paired with Oliver Hermanus as my mentor. I have always found his films profoundly moving and his bold approach to filmmaking incredibly inspiring. I am excited about what I will learn from our journey together as I move toward making my debut feature.”
For more information on the BFI Flare x BAFTA Crew 2020 mentees click here.