Mermaids supports gender-diverse children and young people until their 20th birthday, as well as their families and professionals involved in their care.
Transgender and gender-variant children and teens need support and understanding, as well as the freedom to explore their gender identity. Whatever the outcome, Mermaids is committed to helping families navigate the challenges they may face.
- Reduces isolation and loneliness for gender-variant and transgender children, young people and their families.
- Provides families and young people with the tools they need to negotiate education and health services.
- Helps young people to cope better with mental and emotional distress, and equips their parents with what they need to offer individual support.
- Improves the self-esteem and social skills of children and young people.
- Improves awareness, understanding and practices of teachers, GP’s, CAMHS, Social Services and other professionals.